29 September 2011

Digression

So,

I was listening to that playlist I never tire of...

You know, the one with Ingrid, Florence, Edward Sharpe and those crazy Magnetic Zeros, Dashboard, Muse, Cake, and Mister Joel...to name a few

(I can listen to playlists now, since my granddad shared his spiffy blue Ipod with me...)

Anyway...

My friend, Regina (Spektor of course...We're tight), was singin' her heart out to "On the Radio" and I was reminded of just how much I love her.

Mostly she just sings a lot of nonsense and rhymes a bunch, but it's OK because she has a beautiful voice set to fun music, and we all know she's quirky like that..

Often times, though, she pops out some extraordinary words of wisdom. If you know what I'm saying.

I have loved this particular bit since...well, forever. I used to have it written in dry erase marker on my bedroom mirror in high school for those days when I needed to be reminded of how complicated life really isn't (which was everyday...I was in high school for crying in a bucket)

Don't worry, I'll share:

"This is how it works:
You're young until you're not,
You love until you don't,
You try until you can't,
You laugh until you cry,
You cry until you laugh,
And everyone must breathe until their dying breath.

No, this is how it works:
You peer inside yourself.
You take the things you like,
And try to love the things you took.
And then you take that love you made,
And stick into someone else's heart
Pumping someone else's blood.
And walkin' arm in arm, you hope it don't get harmed,
But even if it does, you just do it all again."

Makes everything seem so simple doesn't it?

I think so.

An aside:

One of my favorite facebook days was when Ashley Beatrice chose that little passage to be her facebook status...

I like to think she was speaking in code to me...making sure I knew she didn't forget me even though now I live in Malad and she lives in Vegas and we NEVER see each other. Ever...which is not how best friends are supposed to live, but we make do...

Like when I remind her that I know what she sounds like on the phone when she's ignoring people, so she should stop ignoring me.

And she laughs because it's true.

I like her.

Another aside:

Whenever I say "an aside" I think of Jim Brandt, my Math 2010 teacher, who (at least once a lecture), paused in the middle of talking about whatever boring math subject was on the syllabus for the day to tell us about the history of a particular tidbit of mathematics...

Like how negative integers originated in China and were not accepted in Europe until around 1700 AD...This was because the Greek traditionally used numbers to represent length, and China was more business oriented, so they needed numbers to represent assets and debts.

Fascinating right?

No comments:

Post a Comment