03 August 2014

The Long Blink and Other Oliverisms

The other day Oliver and I were sitting on the couch watching tv together when I realized that he had fallen asleep. I picked him up so that I could take him upstairs to lay him down. On our way up the stairs he woke up just enough to say in a tired, breathy voice, "Mom, don't worry. I'm not sleeping. I'm just having a long, long, long blink."


One morning I heard Oliver wake up, come out of his room, and start talking to Jesse. "Dad, I was just thinking I could start a collection."

Jesse asked him what sort of things he would like to collect. He didn't know, but he's made it a point to try a few things out. So far, we have a collection of rocks, and another of seashells.


Oliver was talking to me about how much fun it would be to have a boat. When I told him that we didn't have a boat he said, "That's ok. We can just ask Nephi to build one for us."

Oliver is a major fan of a game called Rayman. One day, we were at his friend's house for a play date, and I heard him in the other room saying "let's play Rayman!" At first, I imagined him running and jumping around pretending to play through the levels. When I went in to check on him, I found that when he had said he wanted to pretend to play Rayman, he literally meant that he wanted to pretend to play Rayman. He was sitting on the couch, holding an xbox controller, and staring at a blank tv screen. Since that day, he has been limited to 30 minutes of screen time each day.


His Rayman obsession has also supplied him with a new group of imaginary friends... We now take his "Rayman Friends" with us wherever we go. It is so silly to listen to him talk to them. This morning I heard him say, "Barbara! Are you a bubble again???"


Speaking of Rayman Friends, we had to have a conversation one day that went a little like this:

Me:  "Oliver, if the Rayman Friends make it too hard for you to play with your real friends, then you will have to send them out to wait in the car."

Oliver:  "They don't fit in the CAR!"

Me: "Then how did they get here"

Oliver: "They drove their own car!"



No comments:

Post a Comment