12 September 2013

Do you Bake Much?

The following account is the riveting story of two new friends and the batch of brownies that sealed their friendship...

One day, my new friend Melissa was having a tough time. She was having such a terrible day that she petitioned the Facebook world for some brownies, or cookies, or ice cream. ANYTHING.

You know you've been there. 

Anyhow...

Because I'm such a great friend (which none of you would know because I never call or write, and I don't live close enough to bring you brownies on your bad days, but thankfully you like me anyway), I whipped up some brownies from my favorite recipe and called her up...

(which is a whole story in and of itself about mixed up contact info in my cell phone, and me thinking that I was talking to Melissa's husband, and how could he not know where she was on a Sunday evening, and why did he not know her phone number...Don't worry, it was the bishop. This did nothing to placate my phone aversion...)

...So when I finally dialed the ACTUAL Melissa and got permission to bring said brownies to her home, I thought all was well.

 When I got to her house, she dove right into the brownies and I gabbed for a few minutes before taking a bite of mine.

My first bite was...off. 

The second bite was...strange.

The third bite was TERRIBLE, and prompted me to ask, 

"Do these brownies taste ok to you?"

To which Melissa only replied,

"Do you bake much?"

Which was the one liner that made us both laugh.

Her official diagnosis: The oil had gone rancid. Grossy-gross!

And bless her! She fully intended to choke the whole thing down if I hadn't noticed.

The brownies went into the garbage where they belonged, and we proceeded to talk well into the night about everything and anything that struck our fancy. 

It's so nice to know people who will like me in spite my baking skills...and phone skills...and letter writing skills...

My Favorite Brownies:


1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all ingredients. Add any desired add-ins for personaliztion...I'm all about adding a handful of dark chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes in a 9"x9" baking dish. 

I love this recipe because it's as easy as using a mix, but it uses ingredients that I already have in my pantry, and it makes a much small batch than the mix does. If all that measuring and putting ingredients puts you off...make mixes using only the dry ingredients. Fill a few ziploc bags at a time and keep them in your pantry for up to six months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment