02 August 2009

Moses-Cation

Last weekend I had my very first visit to Idaho for "Moses-cation." The trip was originally scheduled for that weekend as "mancation" until a wedding invitation sparked a new idea. Instead of sending the boys off to have all the fun, lets all go and have fun together! In the end, we were short quite a few Mosai but we made the trip anyway. It was a great vacation full of fun and adventure! Jesse and I really enjoyed ourselves!

First we drove to Salt Lake City to spend the night at my parent's house and enjoy a little bit of Childs time. We made some time for dollar movies, visited alpacas at the library, and saw some familiar faces while we prepared ourselves for the upcoming trip.

Then we parked our car in the drive way, were picked up by the Moses van, and headed to Ogden, Utah to stay with Uncle Mark and Aunt Linda. They took us out on their boat the next day...


In the van and ready to go boating!

Seth showing off his Wake Boarding skills...I would like all to know that I was very brave and tried to do this. Unfortunately, I do not have any arm strength and I couldn't pull myself up.

Our little fish. Whenever the boat stopped she jumped in the water. She was so patient with all the big kids.

Sun Bathing Beauties

(I didn't get a sunburn at all this day! That could have been because I made best friends with the sunscreen bottle and my t-shirt)

The very fetching Jesse Moses

(You can't tell, but he is very slowly catching all of the sun's rays. Needless to say, he got all of the sunburn that I didn't get. Poor Guy!)

What's a vacation without a little sibling rivalry? This game is called Tube Wars...the object: get the other guy off his tube while the boat pulls you along. Nathan (yellow tube) was the champ! Jesse didn't stand a chance. I did not play this game. The boys were wild and I was too afraid of Becca and Emma...

The little fish finally got a turn to be pulled by the boat.

After seven and a half hours at Willard Bay, we finally had to get a move on. We finished our drive to Sweet, Idaho and stayed with family there.

Our Saturday activity consisted of the Mosai "floating" the Payette River. "Floating" is the word that my sister in law used to describe the activity a month ago. I was fine with that. In my head I was thinking of getting in at the top, sitting in my little inner tube and having a leisurely float on down to the end of the river route

....I was MISTAKEN, but I didn't know it yet...

Two weeks later, Jesse threw in the word "Rafting" and I chose to ignore it...Let's just say, I was in DENIAL. All I heard for the next two weeks was horror story after horror story about river rafting. Annie found leeches, Cami got hit in the face and knocked unconscious, and so on and so forth. The tales of terror hit a climax as we discussed the recent death of a man on the very river that I was about to set sail on over breakfast...I was mortified.

Later, as I stood on the shore, one of the cousins gave some safety instructions. He did NOTHING to ease my fears while he made statements like, "If you get stuck under the raft..." and "If you fall out, don't drop your paddle or we won't let you back in..." YIKES! By the time I got into the raft and sat down (in the very middle, there was no straddling the side of the raft and paddling for me!) I was hysterical. I was crying, asking Jesse and Becca, "What am I doing here?" and accidentally rubbing sunscreen into my eyes.

It felt like an eternity floating down the river...that could have something to with the fact that I couldn't see a thing (remember the sunscreen), and every little rapid had me preparing myself for a watery grave. Mike was the closest to me and every so often he would put his hand on my arm and remind me that it was all ok. Thank heaven for dads and dad in laws. They have a way of bringing comfort just when you need it.

Here is a photo of Jesse and me before the madness began.


After our rafting adventure, a bunch of the Moses clan, including my awesome mother in law, headed over to the bridge where they enjoyed jumping into the water below. I was not about to allow this sort activity for Jesse or I...when the government pays for your medical expenses, you shouldn't go doing risky activities that increase the potential for them to have to pay anything.

The next day while the others went to a wedding luncheon, Becca, Emma, and I headed up to the Lazy R Ranch to ride some horses. This was my first time on a horse by myself, and I was nervous again, but Becca was a great teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Since I seemed to be the only photographer on the trip I had to make do with what I had...This is a picture of my shadow on Sunny the horse.

Later that night there was a reception at the ranch where there was a lot of candy, cake, and dancing. It marked a wonderful end to a great vacation with my Moses family.

1 comment:

  1. Della, you are so brave. The first time I went river rafting the made us sign an, if you die your family can't sue us paper. :)

    ReplyDelete