03 December 2010

"I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be."

Last night Jesse and I were headed to bed and we made a stop in Oliver J's room on the way.

We stood over his crib and watched him sleep (more like looked at the blanket lump because he likes to be completely swaddled with his face covered).

This was our exchange:

"Look at that." I said. "We made that baby..."

"How did we do that again?" Jesse asked.

To which I replied, "Be quiet. Don't ruin the moment."

"We made that baby. And I grew it. And I had it. And now every day we take care of it. And we get to keep it forever."

Then we headed off to brush our teeth and dream sweet dreams.

Sometimes I like to watch my Oliver sleep in his crib in the dark of night. The blanket lump rises and falls with each breath he takes and I think of his short mortal past and forever future. I marvel at how much I love this new little being in my life. And I wonder how often my mom used to do the same thing.

I remind myself of the mother in a book called Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. I plan to be just like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment